Friday, October 24, 2014

548 Days of Change

I've searched long and hard. Up and down. Left to right. And somehow I still couldn't find them.
The right words to describe how I feel about the last 18 months of my life.
It all began in the nice little town of Provo, where I left these great people,
 spent 11 days in the Missionary Training Center (MTC) with these fantastic fish,
 and got on a plane.
I felt all kinds of emotions I had never felt before. My stomach was in a knot, my head wondering what I was doing, and my heart knowing all along I was doing the right thing.
The plane landed in the Orlando airport, and from that moment forward, my life would never be the same.
The next 18 months were spent eating interesting,
yummy,
 exotic foods until my tastebuds were more than satisfied.
I also biked a LOT. I biked mile,
 after mile,
 after mile, until somedays I just stood and looked at that bike with love and disgust. My bike and I had a total love/hate relationship.
I experienced the beautiful Florida sunsets,
 the unbelievable amount of water EVERYWHERE.
 And with that water came gators,
 and frogs. Frogs and lizards and bugs. EVERYWHERE.
On our porch, in our house, and in our closet.
Sorry little guy. You don't pay rent here. Allow me to show you to the door.
I also experienced the Florida rain;
 the drenched clothes and the squishy shoes- it's all part of the glorious package.
 But at least it makes the plants grow, right?
I spent a little bit of time throwing Florida flour snowballs,
 leaving fun thank-you notes for other missionaries,
 and taking the role as "Santa's Little Helper".
All of these things brought a smile to my face.
But of all things that brought joy on my mission, nothing brought more happiness to my heart than her,
 they,
and them.
 The reason that these last 18 months were the best was because of the incredible people I met.
The story after story told,
 and experience after experience shared,
 each one shaping and molding my heart in a different way.
Each one enfolding me with their love,
and teaching me how to love in return.
They taught me that it is possible to get through anything in life.
When we serve others, we serve God,
and that is where we find true and lasting happiness.
I now know how to find true joy.
Not the kid in the candy store kind of happiness,
but the kind of happiness that can only come from a higher place.
And I'm forever changed for the better.

No comments:

Post a Comment